Virgin Mobile is raising the base Beyond Talk prices. Yes, you read right. Virgin Mobile, the carrier that provided Normal People™ a reasonable price to enter the smartphone market is doing the unthinkable – charging more.
On the launch of the new Motorola Triumph, the phone I plan on getting soon, will also be the change-over date for the new pricing.
- The 300 minute plan, which was $25, will now be $35.
- The 1200 minute plan, which was $40, will now be $45.
- The Unlimited minute plan, which was $60, will now be $55 (!).
- All plans still come with unlimited data, texting, and web.
- BlackBerry users will no longer be charged the $10 a month BlackBerry fee.
– via TechCrunch
Does this remind you of a recent announcement that incited nation-wide outrage?
However, after reading the actual press release (also via 9To5Google), existing customers of Virgin Mobile will not experience any pricing difference.
Existing Beyond Talk Virgin Mobile customers as of July 19 can keep their current plan
pricing as long as they don’t let their account expire, and they can upgrade to new devices
without incurring additional costs.
In other words, current customers will not be affected and future upgrades will not force you to pay more either.
We’ll see how this turns out, soon.