When I get a new computer I always do a couple of things immediately upon getting to the Windows Desktop. One of those things is enabling the showing of extensions and hidden files. You should do it too, it can save tons of headaches.
- Open windows explorer either via the taskbar shortcut or by computer in the start menu.
- Tap the alt key.
- Go to Tools > Folder Options from the menu bar.
- Click on the View pane in the new Window.
- Look for Show hidden files, folders and drives. Enable it by clicking its radio button.
- A bit after that, look for Hide extensions for known file types. Disable that by clicking on its checkout
- Hit apply and close the window.
That’s all there is too this. Whenever I use a friends computer, I ask them if I can make the change, as they don’t often know they can do it.