1. ShermanK:

Awesome. I’m not a Linux fan, so I’m not too familiar with how to manipulate things through command line. I knew the Guest Additions should work; I’ve used them on other Linux version. Thanks for showing me how to do that. Now to become more familiar with Ubuntu. Appears to actually be a pretty nice OS.

January 28, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  2. Stephane:

Just a word to say that installing Guest Additions in Ubuntu 9.10 did not work for me with VirtualBox version 2. Your post makes me hope that it’s just a VBox version issue; I’m downloading version 3 right now.
    Thanks for your indirect help :-)

February 5, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  3. Nimit:

Great!! It really works. I have Windows 7 as host and Ubuntu Studio 9.10 as guest. Thanks for the solution Ryan!

February 12, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  4. sam:

thanx !!!

February 28, 2010 at 10:37 am |
  5. Bryan:

Worked for me. Thanks for posting this. I never would have figured this out. One question though: Why does it work this way?
    I tried
    > sudu su
    > sudu
    Why do you need the ./ before the file name?

March 12, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  6. Sergei:

Bryan, I’m not 100% sure, but maybe the sodu command requires a full path.

March 16, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  7. Alexandre:

You have a syntax error: the command is not sudu, but sudo.

The ./ before the filename enforces the file location, meaning that the file is in the current dir (specified by the dot . ).

Additionaly, the sudo command runs the next command as a super user. If you run sudo su, you actually become the superuser (has the same effect as logging in the machine as root). If you run sudo VBoxLinux……run means that you are running the VBoxLinux….run as the superuser.

Hope this helps.

March 17, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  8. Luuk Prins:

It worked for me, but for the server part I first had to install the build-essential then things worked out. It failed on installing the windows (how ironic) drivers. Claimed it could not find a X11 or XFree86 Window System, which is correct. I work from comment line on this (virtual) testing server!

But thanx. Showed me (again) how easy it is to manipulate things in Ubuntu/Debian from the command line!

April 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  9. IAprogressive:

I’m running VBox 3.1, and when I tried to run it from /cdrom I didn’t have any luck. I did have to cd to /media/cdrom/vbox… to get into the CD and then the command you posted worked great!

May 25, 2010 at 8:49 pm |