Comments

1. The direction of MooTools is, as always, moving onward and upward. Though Lighthouse shows a massive number of unattended tickets, there’s plenty of development going on behind the scenes. I grow more excited about Moo every day!

January 20, 2009 at 8:43 pm |
  2. […] a post over on Ryan Rampersand’s blog today entitled “State of the MooTools” wherein he responds to a comment left on an earlier post he made (MooTools is not dead) and […]

January 21, 2009 at 2:29 am |
  3. Glad to hear David say that. As MooTools has been the library I have taken to learning. I would be sad if were to become a dead duck.

January 21, 2009 at 3:12 am |
  4. I love minimalistic frameworks that only give me the basic building blocks to let me create something myself, and because of this, I still think MooTools is the best for me.

I try to read up on other frameworks to compare them with MooTools, but everytime I do it I end up looking at a feature of the other frameworks, and then think “Nah I’m good with MooTools”.

January 21, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  5. Danny:

A few years back, when these frameworks were novel, comparing them was just a comparison of their quality. None had a clear future, so they weighed alike on the scales, in terms of whether they would still exist a few years on. MooTools did well under these terms.

Now, though, these frameworks have graduated from being interesting to being almost essential. It takes a while to learn one, and after you choose one, it permeates all your client-side code. So the safety of a framework’s future is now as important in the comparison as its quality. Prototype and somehow jQuery have managed to give the impression of that safety, but MooTools hasn’t. Even if it does have a safe future, the impression matters more than the reality.

February 8, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  6. […] and official repository of plugins and other resources. Unfortunately MooTools have so far failed to provide this platform; leaving its resources scattered and developers on their […]

July 28, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Jeremy:

I’ve been using mootools for a couple years now. There’s been a few occurrences where I’ve had to work with other frameworks, like jQuery, and I’ve yet to ever find one comparable to mootools.

I think the audience that the framework targets is much more developer oriented, so while toolkits like jQuery have official repositories and community sites, mootools doesn’t really need these things (though in the interest of attracting a larger audience they might).

One also has to keep in mind the only framework that seems to actively advertise itself is jQuery (and from what I’ve ready they make a habit of omitting certain details).

July 29, 2009 at 8:12 am |