Comments

1. Paul Hurm:

Thanks for this tip!

No one can find the iGoogle Settings Page because I don’t think Google supplies a link – at least none I could find!

April 2, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  2. Thomas:

Hi Ryan,

I quite enjoyed the GTalk in the sidebar, but since about a week ago, it’s dissappeared. And there’s no option on the settings page. Has this happened to others? How do I bring it back?

Paul, you can access the settings page via ‘my account’ > igoogle > settings. Complicated, I know.

April 6, 2009 at 8:31 am |
  3. Sai Prasad Kothapalle:

GTalk gadget disappeared from my iGoogle today. My friend is still able to access it from his iGoogle. Any information on this please.

April 26, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  4. Travis:

Just in case others come across this page, the settings page is easily accessible. Assuming you haven’t completely changed your layout, on the left of your homepage and to the right of “Home” you will see a down arrow. Click to open the drop down and click “edit this tab”. Simple enough.

May 9, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  5. Seamus:

Thanks for this. Any way you can remove (or reduce the size of) the area taken up by the “You Might Also Like” prompts? I find these take up half the screen when enlarging most of the gadgets.

June 9, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  6. Jeff:

The “hide chat” does not work. I have that button clicked and chat is still there.

October 1, 2010 at 10:35 am |
  7. Dan:

Thanks!

April 17, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  8. You guys might also be interested in Super iGoogle. It’s an extension for Firefox, Chrome and Opera. It gives you the option to hide the sidebar tabs, waste-of-space header and the footer. Get it here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ncindhlccodninkgiofmmjdidmcmllhd

May 15, 2011 at 5:31 am |
  9. J.R.J.:

‘Hide’ chat is not the same as ‘remove’ chat.

I don’t use twitter, facebook, msn, etc etc etc, and I don’t want any vestiges of the chat bar on my page.

Seems like a massive oversight (or perhaps Google is moving into the Microsoft hubris of “we know what’s good for you” philosophy.

Just allow me to delete the damn thing, OK?

March 29, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  10. J.R.J.:

Well… no.

I use (and like) Google a lot, And I use a LOT of the features of iGoogle. In fact, it pretty much is my substitute ‘bookmark’ list as well.

I’m pretty much a Google fanboy, actually. But this one little annoyance is… well… annoying.

I really am quite confused about why they would insist on have a chat window always available. Even when ‘hidden’, there is still a vertical blank space on the left:

You can certainly remove and/or add other ‘gadgets’ and windows to your iGoogle page, and none of those have ‘remnants’ left over.

And to just further that annoyance, even though I have the setting on ‘Hide’, if I close the browser and then reopen it, the setting gets reset back to ‘Show’.

And as a small sidebar, just to show you how I seriously do use iGoogle Home Page, here is a full dump of my home page (with a few personal items photoshopped out):

March 30, 2012 at 11:13 am |
  11. J.R.J.:

Thanks; I’ll look into those options.

March 30, 2012 at 5:54 pm |