Today in the news, I was reading about Google’s new Browser Project. Apparently, it is based on Webkit (in the wild, that’s Safari) rather than Gecko (firefox in the wild). I wish there was another open browser out there. Firefox is currently the front-runner open browser. Safari, Opera and of course, Internet Explorer are all closed source browsers.
The closed-ness of the other three major browsers does bother me to some extent. If Google actually, makes their entire browser open, they’ll start taking over a Webkit, I mean Safari, market. In short, I fully support the Open Source Google Browser!
Anyway, according Google Blogscooped, we’ll get the following fun features.
- V8 also is designed to be very fast.
- Different tabbing. Commonly, tabs are placed on the underside of the address bar, or they are in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari. Opera has this design already.
- Like Opera, another carry-over is their Speed Dial feature. However it is much more involved. It actually mimics some of the features of the Firefox Ubiquity like recent searches and other smart contextual things.
- IE 8 feature InPrivate is also getting snapped up into the Google Browser.
- I believe there will be many more things too. Things we can only imagine.
I like this. It seems like Google is taking the best of all the current day browsers and churning out a unified browser. I hope it happens.