Comments

1. What would you say about this now? I agree with the subtext suggested by the authors of your excerpted posts. There has been an undercurrent in the MooTools-o-sphere for more than a year now: that developers’ insolence leaves the community with much to be desired.

The framework itself is an enigma. How else could you classify something proven to be so powerful, attractive, and yet mesmerizing to those who gaze upon it?

The undercurrent continues to flow, and MooTools momentum has reached a standstill. The various community services (lighthouse, github, google groups, mootools docs, mootools forums, blog, mootorial) have been disbanded or relocated into a dysfunctional, confusing, quagmire. Followers couldn’t help but scratch their collective heads, and newcomers aren’t given the indicators they might need to adopt.

Surely by now, most of the people who have developed a project with MooTools (such as I) have asked themselves, “How much longer do I have to keep asking myself ‘Is MooTools the solution on which I should standardize’?”

And I should add, my play with interrogative in the language of that statement is intentional. I have been reluctant to let MooTools go, though every inch of my being says it has little hope.

January 20, 2009 at 5:49 am |
  2. […] of the MooTools” wherein he responds to a comment left on an earlier post he made (MooTools is not dead) and ponders the state of the library: I want to know what people think of the State of the […]

January 21, 2009 at 2:41 am |
  3. I don’t agree with your statement that MooTools is “becoming a library for those recluse programmers rather than the dream solution library.”

I don’t see how the community is what would or wouldn’t make MooTools a “dream solution.” The tools work, right? You’re absolutely correct that MooTools doesn’t promote its community like jQuery but I’d prefer they spent their time writing great code and let people pick up on it.

If a developer needs help or would like to contribute to MooTools, they can visit the #mootools IRC or post on Google Groups. What more would you propose?

January 21, 2009 at 7:58 am |
  4. As a person who wrote that ticket I had to say that many of my other tickets were accepted. Actually I had created over 10% of all tickets in LHA. I also suggested a lot of fixes related to leaking, styles etc. Just because I am using Mootools for quite big legacy projects, Mootools has to live :-) Also, its seems Valerio finally rose from the dead.

January 22, 2009 at 6:32 am |
  5. Despite using the framework for approaching two years now, I am one of those beginner/novice Moo users that the core developers seem to wish would just go away.

From my perspective, I love the library, but am increasingly aware that it’s a framework and community that isn’t willing to accommodate me (despite the many wonderful resources and individuals who continue to promote it in a positive, friendly way).

The upgrade from v1.1 to v1.2 disillusioned an awful lot of novice users, and the decision to shut down the forum (though it has been reinstated again now, albeit in a view-only state) showed everything you needed to know about the core developer’s disdain for the wider community – it serves itself and no-one else.

Ultimately, this can only lead to diminished interest and smaller uptake of the community in favour of jQuery. I think you are right to suggest Ryan when you say that it could become “a library for those recluse programmers”, but of course that’s not to say it’s no good one or it can’t be that “dream solution library” that many (myself included) feel it is/will be.

January 30, 2009 at 7:59 am |
  6. adam:

I agree with either Ryan and the “Daniel” mentioned in the post.
    There is a big difference from Mootools and others frameworks. If you want to learn Mootools, you have to do it by yourself: download it and learn it, and stop.

This approach is merely bad, although Mootools is an open source project. But man, this is what Mootools developers want. I have read a lot of responses posted by them that really, made me shocked. So, if you like the latter, use it, otherwise, choose an other project of course.

February 2, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  7. […] dazu überreden konnte jQuery einzusetzen, nachdem Mootools in den letzten Monaten etwas schwächelt, primär ist der Grund aber das ich jQuery momentan eine blühendere Zukunft voraussage und […]

February 3, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  8. reread my post; sorry, I get wordy with my writing sometimes.

Something interesting to add is that there are message threads all over the net, even in the now long-defunct forum, that question the viability of MooTools in the future. And the topic is generally the same (e.g. WTF up with community, why developers so detached and unforgiving)? This one doesn’t exactly help MooTools case. Newbies will get the picture.

I would venture to say that the ‘reclusive developer’ might better be classified as an enthusiast. They might master the methods and techniques of the library, but without an integrated community more in tune with growth and public relations, they aren’t likely to have what they need to surpass a personal level of interest.

February 16, 2009 at 5:45 pm |