I had this idea a few months ago that hit me while in one of my English Classes. Generally, when writing anything important, like a story or a persuasive piece, we use the 5 W’s. What are the 5 W’s? They are:
- Who – Who’s the company/writer/author/programming?
- What – What’s this site about?
- Where – Where does this site relate to/take place/ have information for?
- When – When does this site update/change/start/end?
- Why – Why is this site here?
- How – What makes this site possible (people, code, projects, companies)?
I realize that #6 does not start with W but nevertheless, it’s included. Look on Wikipedia. Anyway, the idea is that a website should have these things neatly placed on the index/first page or very close to it. Oh! This is not just for search engine crawlers, it could also be good for visitors.
Why is this such a breakthrough for me personally? I never get much traffic to any of my sites (about 1100 pageviews/month). I know it could be a lot considering what’s on them, but still, only 1100? Anyway, I figure if Google (the only search engine I care about) knows the 5 W’s, it could help boost traffic and rankings.
I’m not an SEO expert but I know my way around the neighborhood.